Making his sixth appearance in August, Adam Ottavino entered the game in the fifth inning. Three days earlier Ottavino gave the Rockies three solid innings in a 5-3 victory over the Marlins and he would once again piggyback the starter's performance. Ottavino threw three shutout innings and allowed just a hit and a walk while striking out two batters. This outing brought Ottavino's total August line to: 16.2 IP 7 H 2 R 2 ER 3 BB 15 SO 2 HR 3-0, 1 Hold. It also brought Ottavino's overall record to 5-1 and the Rockies record in games he's appeared in this month to 5-1.
Entering August, Ottavino's ERA was 4.99 and he's lowered it to 3.83 in six appearances. A former first round pick by the St. Louis Cardinals in 2006, Ottavino was claimed off waivers by the Rockies on April 3rd of this year. That waiver claim is looking like an absolute steal today. Despite Ottavino's control problems (3.67 BB/9), he's been a valuable middle innings eater lately. Getting through those middle innings is key for the Rockies, who generally pull starters after the fourth inning and have a very good back end of the bullpen in Matt Belisle and Rafael Betancourt.
Ottavino actually broke one of Belisle's records with his appearance on Sunday. Ottavino became the first reliever in Rockies history with six straight appearances with at least four outs recorded and two strikeouts. Belisle and Ottavino were previously tied with five, though Ottavino did pitch at least two full innings in every game during his six game streak.
- Rob Scahill (6.2 IP 3 H 4 ER 7 K 1 BB) pitched for Triple-A Sunday and is three strikeouts away from the Colorado Springs Sky Sox single season strikeout record.
- Nolan Arenado is 8-for-34 (.235) with no walks over the past ten days. He did hit his 10th home run of the season during that stretch, though.
- Kyle Parker has hit six home runs in his last six games and is slugging .821 over the past ten days for Modesto in the California League. He's hitting .335 with 15 home runs in 54 games in the second half of the season.
- Corey Dickerson is hitting .306 with seven home runs and 13 walks in 41 at Double-A Tulsa in the second half of the season.
- Michael Cuddyer was placed on the 15-day DL with an injured oblique.
- Josh Rutledge was removed from Sunday's game with a sore left quad.
- Eric Young, Jr. was removed from Sunday's game with a strained rib cage muscle.
- Jhoulys Chacin will start Tuesday in New York as he's returning from right shoulder inflammation.